- Dr. Ertas attends an invited live TV program and gives a talk on artificial organs.
- Our cover design for the paper titled “3D Bioprinting of Oxygenated Cell‐Laden Gelatin Methacryloyl Constructs” has been chosen as the Cover Image of the Advanced Healthcare Materials for the August issue. This Cover Image was designed and produced by Ertas Lab!
We present a novel approach to develop oxygenated bioinks, using oxygen generating calcium peroxide particles. Cardiomyocyte‐laden oxygenated and 3D printed tissue constructs developed in this study can significantly support cell survival when applied in hypoxic conditions. They can also be delivered using minimally invasive approach to ischemic hearts.
- Dr. Ertas is featured in Minister of Industry and Technology Mustafa Varank`s video twit.
- Check out our paper titled “3D Bioprinting of Oxygenated Cell‐Laden Gelatin Methacryloyl Constructs” which is published in Advanced Healthcare Materials! (Q1 journal, IF = 7.4)
Cell survival during the early stages of transplantation and before new blood vessels formation is a major challenge in translational applications of 3D bioprinted tissues. Supplementing oxygen (O2) to transplanted cells via an O2 generating source such as calcium peroxide (CPO) is an attractive approach to ensure cell viability. Calcium peroxide also produces calcium hydroxide that reduces the viscosity of bioinks, which is a limiting factor for bioprinting. In this study, a gelatin methacryloyl (GelMA) bioink that is optimized in terms of pH and viscosity is developed. The improved rheological properties lead to the production of a robust bioink suitable for 3D bioprinting and controlled O2 release. Fibroblasts and cardiomyocytes are bioprinted using CPO containing GelMA bioink. Viability and metabolic activity of printed cells are checked after 7 days of culture under hypoxic condition. The results show that the addition of CPO improves the metabolic activity and viability of cells in bioprinted constructs under hypoxic condition.
- Dr. Ertas leaves his postdoctoral appointment at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and joins Erciyes University as a TÜBİTAK 2232 fellow.
- Dr. Ertas receives the prestigious International Fellowship for Outstanding Researchers Program (TÜBİTAK 2232) with a total project budget of ~ 2,920,000 ₺.